NOTE: This blog has been moved to http://www.looksgoodworkswell.com

Friday, October 03, 2008

Update: 3 year old server error... Yahoo! says is definitely the problem with my account!

Man, I was never on this side of Yahoo!'s customer service before. But it sure does hurt.

After getting the previous response I patiently explained that it was not possible for a server error to be the culprit since the account in question is 3 years old. 

Yet, Yahoo! customer care responded to this sensible explanation with exactly the same answer (only this time from 'Nick')

Hello Bill,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Account Services.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. It
appears that there may have been a server error at the time you
registered for your Yahoo! account. Unfortunately your information was
not correctly saved, and you will be unable to access this account. You
are welcome to create a new Yahoo! account with a different ID. Again,
we apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Account Services.

Regards,

Nick

New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - better than ever!

Argh! But hey, I am free to create a new account! Yipee! That sounds like fun. Why didn't I think of that before?





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

see if you can create b.scott

Anonymous said...

Did you tell them who you are?

Anonymous said...

Bill,

I think that this is a classic case of "You get what you pay for." Perhaps Yahoo! offers business-class email for fee which provides real customer service when you have problems?

-- Art Z.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the more annoying things that can happen in the Internet age. On the one hand, it's a free email service, so complaining when it goes wrong seems churlish, but on the other, who wouldn't come to rely at least partially on an email address?

Anonymous said...

I used to be at the top tier of SBC (now at&t) tech support. I helped ramp up the mighty email migration when Yahoo took on our email and homepage service offerings (this is like 13 states at the time)..

And saw more than one scenario which an email address, particularly the free ones, are gone without quarter.

Scenarios such as if an account was not updated in a particular system of record, by a particular date - it's gone. Or a cs rep trying to 'manually migrate' accounts improperly can trash an account forever.

I had a situation with an SBC exec who lost his yahoo account and encouraged me to start pushing buttons with tech managers et al any department I had access to at Yahoo. No dice.

Another fun thing to do with Yahoo customer service is try and reset your password without knowing the dob AND alternate email address.
I doubt a congressional order could get it done.

But that's small potatoes.
I love Yahoo anyway.
Can't say the same for at&t.

Bill Scott said...

jr@ afraid to do that as I did not want to have a new b dot scott that was not a true alias to my other email.

ron@ yes, but that meant nothing to the email bot nor to the folks on the call center. However, some great folks inside yahoo! are working the issue. It sounds like I am close to a resolution. I will post a followup once it is cerain.

art@ at one point it was a paid account :-)

gilgongo@ yep you don't realize how much it is your identity till you lose it.

nick@ yes I am finding that out. there are just so many accounts created every day that it is mind boggling the number of yahoo ids that are in existence. hopefully I will soon have it resolved.

Chaye Netzach said...

BS"D

Hi.
That's funny, I just received the same answer from Yahoo. Word by word. Even though my question was completely different from yours (I was asking if a weird email I received was really from them of if it was a scam...).

But I did better than you: they claim a server error when creating my account 12 YEARS AGO.

OK, now I know I am talking to a Yahoo robot. And a dumb one. How will I know if that email I received is a legitimate or a scam? Should I click on the link or not?

I hope at least that the people in charge of the security of our data are real engineers and not dumb robots...

PS: I am glad it worked out OK for your account.